Teaching Teachers stuff

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to teach middle school teachers (gr. 6-8) a mixed media class at a large Professional development day conference. We puddled around with Drawing, painting and doodling.

 I envisioned this project as fitting in cross curricularly with a Social Studies unit on Greek myths, or perhaps an English literature assignment.  In a lot of in youth fiction/fantasy you will find there is a powerful object...often a key or a box or even a magic goblet full of potion. This project was to create an image of an "vessel of power."  As a fun twist, some teachers created "powerful coffee cups,"  one did an "Aladdin's lamp"...and still another, an amphorae (Greek inspired vase)

We mixed 2 primary colours plus white acrylic paint for a background, utilized old dictionary pages and maps to cut out the vessel and "vapor." We created a more 3D form by drawing on the vessel using conte. The vapor was doodled on with Permanent pens, playing around with symbols and patterns in a fun Zentangl-ish kind of way.
Later you can add gold or bronze paint to make it even more precious.
When the teachers left I asked them to "leaf"  me a note (get it?) sharing their "a-ha" from the session. There are a few pictured here. 

I also brought along some of my new favourite books. I have recently become a big fan of Quarry books...I love the way they divide their material into 52 lessons or 6 weeks...perfect for teachers looking for fun assignments ...one for every week of the year.
My favs..
Drawing comics Lab by Robyn Chapman
Drawing lab by Carla Sonheim
A Zentangle a day by Beckah Krahula
Oh and for Christmas, Santa I want the "Paint Lab" one...!

The website says they are in the UK, but I can get them online or locally too. (ie. Chapters).

Comments

Popular Posts