Arts camps experiments

I just wrapped up two fun weeks of Art and Drama camps. During each week we spend time on some art projects as well as creating props and backdrops for their drama production.
This idea came from 2 different ones I saw online. I needed a clay project that could be finished in 5 days...including firing. So it had to be bisque firing only.
Slab was our first thought as it dries quickly. The finish was using wax crayons which were then painted over with black tempera paint. Upon finishing painting we then wiped the paint off with a damp sponge. 
That first week we did the weaving frames but ran out of time to do the weaving well. (The learning curve was a bit steep for some kids and I only had 90 min to do the finish and the weaving with my 7-11 yr olds) They still seem to like the project...in fact SOMEONE liked it so much they decided to take my sample one home without my permission. Hmmm.  This is a very interesting project as it highlights texture as well as the contrast of hard and soft materials.
The second week we did picture frames and they were wonderful. My personal photo contain the kids' names  and images so I am unable to post them here.  Each frame had a name banner and things like butterflies and shapes.  They learned about rolling slabs, texturing clay and  how to join clay.
 I have noticed I have been posting allot about my clay endeavors lately. I think it must be because it's an area in which I feel I am still constantly learning and experimenting in. It's also a very popular medium with kids and teachers alike so I want to improve in my abilities in order to facilitate their learning better.



My samples bisque fired
My sample pre-weaving, photos are all I have left of this one.
kids' work, weaving is barely started



Comments

Popular Posts